Wednesday, November 5, 2008

They that wait upon the Lord...

shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40: 30-31

Have you ever seen an eagle up close? I have! It all happened this summer!


My husband bought our kids and me each a little inflatable kayak after I expressed a desire to go canoeing on the lake. The lake is located only about three or four miles from our house, so it would be something we could enjoy quite a bit in the summer. There is a lovely boat launch just a short distance from home, and there is a special little area that is perfect for launching out little boats.

We went out on the lake several times when we began to take notice of an eagle that frequently perched high in a tree overlooking the lake. As I got more and more confident in my skills with the little kayak, Mark encouraged me to take my point and shoot camera with me to take photos of this most impressive bird!

As my son and I went out paddling one afternoon, we made our way right to the tree where the eagle watched us, not budging an inch, nor showing any signs of distress. The huge bird sat and looked down on us, then went about its business as though we weren't even there!

I took a few pictures of the eagle and it is amazing any turned out; I felt so honored, so blessed, that I could come so close to this bird that is so incredible, it is mentioned in the Scriptures! I was feeling so shaky as I pressed the shutter button. After taking my photos, I just sat for a few minutes, feeling overwhelmed by my proximity to the bird.

After this "close encounter", I often stopped by the lake to see if the eagle was there. Because I had seen this bird up close, I felt an attachment to it.

When these birds mount up on wings, there is no mistaking them for any other bird. The white head, white feathers on the tail, and vast size make them highly distinguishable. They are spectacular to watch in flight, particularly as they swoop down to the water and grab up a fish with seemingly no effort involved.

The promise in the above verse of Scripture means so much to me after being in the presence of an eagle. These birds are so unique and powerful...when God promises to renew our strength like that of the eagle, we should be impressed. The hardest part, though, is the waiting. No one wants to wait; however, God's promise is a big one. If we are able to just sit tight, our rewards will be great!

Lord, I pray that when I want to run ahead of your timing and doing things your way, I will remember your great promise and find rest in You. Help me to realize it is You who is the giver of life and that You want the best for me. Help me to wait upon You so that I might be renewed and mount up on wings and soar!

9 comments:

Abigail said...

What a lovely shot!

Jackie said...

This is an incredible photograph.
To see an eagle is breathtaking...and your capture of this magnificent creature is wonderful.
Smiles to you from Jackie

LifeRamblings said...

what an amazing shot. glad you managed to take a shot of the eagle before it flew away.

magiceye said...

superb capture!

ipanema said...

great capture of the mighty eagle.

thanks for the visit. :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Amen. I have always loved that verse.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You got one of those long lens camera?

JO said...

nice shot.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Suzanne said...

You won a copy of Shelley Shepard Gray's book from my blog last week - please email my assistant your mailing address. amy@litfusegroup.com